Railway Group Standard RIS-3279-TOM
The Railway Group Standard RIS-3279-TOM is a standard for high-visibility clothing that is specifically designed for the UK rail industry. It is intended to provide rail workers with a conspicuous warning of their presence on or near the trackside to train drivers, engineers, and permanent way professionals.
Features of RIS-3279-TOM compliant high-visibility clothing
- Detachable hood
- Hook and loop fastened storm flap
- Two-way chunky main zip
- Mesh lined body and sleeves
- Mobile phone pocket with D-ring
- Internal interactive YKK zip
- Lycra storm cuffs
- Retromax reflective tape
- Internal zipped pocket
- Hook and loop fastened front pockets
- Hook and loop fastened mini-cuff adjuster
- Shaped drop-tail back
What is the purpose of the different features of RIS-3279-TOM compliant high-visibility clothing?
- Detachable hood: The detachable hood provides extra protection from the elements in bad weather, but can be removed if not required.
- Hook and loop fastened storm flap: The storm flap helps to keep the wearer dry and protected from the wind.
- Two-way chunky main zip: The two-way zip makes it easy to put on and take off the garment, and can be opened from the bottom to allow for easy access to pockets.
- Mesh lined body and sleeves: The mesh lining helps to keep the wearer cool and comfortable in warm weather.
- Mobile phone pocket with D-ring: The mobile phone pocket provides a secure place to store a mobile phone, and the D-ring can be used to attach other items, such as keys or a lanyard.
- Internal interactive YKK zip: The internal interactive YKK zip allows the garment to be integrated with other layers of clothing, such as a fleece jacket or body warmer.
- Lycra storm cuffs: The Lycra storm cuffs help to keep out the wind and rain.
- Retromax reflective tape: The Retromax reflective tape provides high visibility in low light conditions.
- Internal zipped pocket: The internal zipped pocket provides a secure place to store valuable items.
- Hook and loop fastened front pockets: The hook and loop fastened front pockets provide secure storage for tools and other items.
- Hook and loop fastened mini-cuff adjuster: The hook and loop fastened mini-cuff adjuster allows the cuffs to be adjusted for a snug fit.
- Shaped drop-tail back: The shaped drop-tail back provides extra coverage and protection.
Why is it important for rail workers to wear RIS-3279-TOM compliant high-visibility clothing?
Rail workers are at risk of being hit by trains or other vehicles when working on or near the trackside. RIS-3279-TOM compliant high-visibility clothing helps to make rail workers more visible to train drivers, engineers, and other workers, which can help to reduce the risk of accidents.